Our Lady and St. Joseph Catholic Academy is very proud of its Nursery. The Nursery aims to provide a warm and caring environment where children can feel secure, confident and happy.
We admit children in the Autumn Term after their third birthday and have space for 78 children (39 in the morning and 39 in the afternoon).
Children come for half a day for five sessions a week - either 8.45am until 11.45am or 12:15 pm until 3:15 pm.
It is also now possible to get a funded childcare place for up to 30 hours per week for your child, 9.00am until 3.00pm. This will be for 38 weeks of the year for children aged 3 and 4 if certain criteria are met.
We will do all that we can to meet your preference although this cannot be guaranteed.
Parents are welcome to visit the Nursery and look around when considering Nursery Education for their child. Please telephone the school on 02476383807 to make an appointment.
Application forms for admittance are available from the school office and can be submitted after your child's second birthday. Once completed, your child's name will be placed in the Admissions file. Please notify us of any change of address or phone number, or if you no longer require a place.
The Nursery class has a maximum number of children it can accept. If there are more applications than there are places, the governors will follow an admission criteria.
If your child comes to our nursery unit, he or she does not have to move on to the Reception class of Our Lady & St Joseph Catholic Academy. Equally, attendance at our Nursery does not guarantee that he or she will be offered a place in the Reception class of Our Lady & St Joseph Catholic Academy.
Early Years Curriculum
Nursery classes follow the Foundation curriculum which is progressive, building on the skills and knowledge that your child already has. The approach to learning is through structured play-based activities which encourage the child to learn at their own pace and ability. It is enjoyable and challenging. Children see play as their 'work'. In Nursery, we ensure that play is purposeful and carefully planned objectives can be worked towards in a variety of learning situations which have the characteristics of play.
In accordance with government guidelines, the curriculum for the Foundation Stage is organised into three prime areas of learning and development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development and four specific areas, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design.
Two members of the Nursery Team will visit you at home before your child’s start date.
Parents are not under any pressure to sign up for a visit, but the benefits are substantial.
• Home Visits enable the Nursery Staffto build up relationships with families.
• Parents can lead the discussion about their child in the security of their own home.
• We can create a shared commitment to the child's development and his/her individual needs.
• Home Visits help to build up the child's trust and confidence.
During the Home Visit, the child will be given an 'All About Me' booklet to complete at their leisure before starting Nursery. This helps to give staff an insight into the child's personality and development and also helps to maintain the link between home and Nursery whilst the child is waiting to start properly.
How to Help Your Child Settle into Nursery
• Talk to your child about Nursery and tell them the things they will do.
• Have a positive attitude yourself. Do not pass on any anxieties of your own.
• Look at books about Nursery with your child.
• Teach your child to use the toilet independently (sensible clothes will help here).
• Make sure that your child is accompanied into the Nursery Room each day.
• Give your child encouragement to find their own coat peg and to hang up their own coat.
• Help your child to register themselves.
• Do try to collect your child on time as it can be very distressing for a child to remain when all the others have gone.
We hope that your child's year with us will provide a strong foundation for their future. Together, in partnership with you as parents, we can work towards giving them a positive start to their education enabling them to fulfil their potential.